French Word of the Day

Come learn some french with me and Monkey Boy. Powered by Egan's vocabulary. And by learn french, clearly I mean, procrastinate. Ecoutez-bien mes amis!

mercredi, décembre 22, 2004

bonne nuit: good night

La femme a dit "bonne nuit" quand nous sommes partis le restaurant. The lady said "good night" when we left the restaurant. Pronounced: "bun-nwee" Note: "bon soir" has a slightly different meaning. It means "good evening" and is common greeting when entering a restaurant. "bonne nuit" is typically used when exiting a restaurant or theater.

2 Comments:

  • At 22 décembre, 2004, Blogger Jean-Francois said…

    "Bonne nuit" is a definitive farewell, like when you're going to bed/leaving/not coming back. "Bon soir" can be use both as greeting and farewell.

     
  • At 22 décembre, 2004, Blogger egan said…

    Merci beaucoup Jean-Francois. I appreciate your feedback. I personally said bonne nuit many times and couldn't figure out why I was getting so many weird looks. I think I have it all worked out now. A plus tard!

     

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home